[gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] oci and oracle express 11

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 10 19:00:59 PDT 2014

> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 23:37:01 +0200
> From: landa.martin at gmail.com
> To: mateusz at loskot.net
> CC: gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org; Michael.Smith at erdc.dren.mil
> Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] [EXTERNAL] oci and oracle express 11

> > Also, check you are using the same type of binaries (32 or 64 bit) of
> > GDAL/OGR and InstantClient. AFAIR, they don't mix.
>
> it remembers me, the PC runs on MS Windows Server 2008 64 bit. I
> downloaded Oracle 11 g Express from [1]. They claims that 64bit
> Windows are not supported. But I was able to install it, and DB server

Yes, That is what it says:

 - Does not work in Windows x64

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/express-edition/downloads/index.html

> is apparently running (I can connect via sqlplus or sqldeveloper). Hm,

That is interesting. But usually any Win32 application should work on a Win64 system. Right?

> could be a problem that I installed GDAL via OSGeo4W 32bit?

As far as I can remember, the OSGeo4W installation comes with OCI.DLL. Unfortunately I don't one installation at hand. But, have you tried to force GDAL tools to use the OCI.DLL from the XE installation instead?

I know that is not the same situation you have, but when I need to run GDAL build for Win32 on my Win64 machine I need to place an OCI.DLL from a InstantClient-32 first on my PATH. Otherwise it will try to load the default on DLL my system, that happens to a Win64 OCI.DLL.

In that situation I recall vaguely that the operation system doesn't give you any clear error or warning message and the connection fails when you try to run the command. Just like you are seeing.

Have you tried the GDAL installation pack from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk  ? You can download and install for example, gdal-110-1600-x64-core.msi and a gdal-110-1600-x64-oracle.msi.

BTW. It doesn't matter if the server is 32 or 64. What is important is that GDAL and the OCI.DLL are on the same architecture.

Regards,

Ivan