[gdal-dev] Problems with large ASTER GeoTIFF

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Tue Apr 15 10:43:49 PDT 2014

If you're talking about the EAA EU_DEM then PNG isn't a good solution as
the whole raster as to be loaded to access a subset of it, a compressed
TIFF with TILED=YES would be better.

Also, you should not try to scale it down to byte as it would only 255
values, if I remember well the original data is in ctfloat32 so try to
scale it down to int32 for a huge size gain.