[gdal-dev] postgis to esri shape slow

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Apr 28 11:02:25 PDT 2014

Le lundi 28 avril 2014 16:47:49, Mario Jurcevic a écrit :
> Hi,
> I try to export postgis tables ( 200 ) to shape; It seems ogr2ogr is
> much more slow than "pgsql2shp" from postgis.
>
> ogr2ogr: about 15 minutes
> pgsql2shp: about 2 minutes
>
> Any known reason for that?

Interesting. I don't have a particular reason coming to mind. Which GDAL,
PostGIS and PostgreSQL versions do you use ?

Well, one idea I could have is if some of your tables have polygons or
multipolygons with a lot of inner rings/holes. The shapefile exporter might be
slow on this. If you've indeed that situation, perhaps you could exclude them
from the timing to compare if that makes a difference

Could you share a dump of the tables (possibly a shorter extract that would
still exhibit the issue) so that it can be analyzed ?

Even

--
Geospatial professional services