[gdal-dev] gdal_contour failes after creating 4gig+ file

Reaves, Timothy treaves at silverfieldstech.com
Mon Apr 28 17:30:11 PDT 2014

I am attempting to import contour information into a PostGIS-enabled
database. I am trying to follow the information on this site:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contours#Importing_the_SRTM3_data_.28deprecated.29
and
am using the script. The page states that srtm_generate_hdr.sh is no longer
needed, but, I can find no instructions that do not use this script.

I am importing data from ds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM1/Region_01 .
The first couple of files in that directory import. When the file
N38W114.hgt.zip is processed, however, one of the intermediate files
created by gdal_contour starts growing in size, and when it reaches just
over four gig, the max file size, it fails. This particular data file isn't
the largest that is imported. The error is:
ERROR 1: Failed to write shape object. File size cannot reach 4294967228 +
808.

So I'm not sure how to troubleshoot were exactly the issue is; I suppose
the issue could be with the data file, but, as several other files imported
fine, I think the issue may be with gdal_contour.  I've searched, and can
find reference to this error, but related to NoData not being set, and it
is in this file (NoData Value=-32768);

Any help appreciated.