[gdal-dev] gdal_contour failes after creating 4gig+ file

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 02:07:19 PDT 2014

Timothy,

I just ran gdal_contour (from gdal-1.10.1) on
http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM1/Region_01/N38W114.hgt.zip with
the options -i 10 and -a height. I got a shape file of ~95MB. Please check
your data file and gdal version.

BTW, you can directly save the contours into a postgis table instead of the
intermediate shapefiles by using the -f option.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Reaves, Timothy <
treaves at silverfieldstech.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to import contour information into a PostGIS-enabled
> database. I am trying to follow the information on this site:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contours#Importing_the_SRTM3_data_.28deprecated.29 and
> am using the script. The page states that srtm_generate_hdr.sh is no longer
> needed, but, I can find no instructions that do not use this script.
>
> I am importing data from ds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM1/Region_01 .
> The first couple of files in that directory import. When the file
> N38W114.hgt.zip is processed, however, one of the intermediate files
> created by gdal_contour starts growing in size, and when it reaches just
> over four gig, the max file size, it fails. This particular data file isn't
> the largest that is imported. The error is:
> ERROR 1: Failed to write shape object. File size cannot reach 4294967228 +
> 808.
>
> So I'm not sure how to troubleshoot were exactly the issue is; I suppose
> the issue could be with the data file, but, as several other files imported
> fine, I think the issue may be with gdal_contour.  I've searched, and can
> find reference to this error, but related to NoData not being set, and it
> is in this file (NoData Value=-32768);
>
> Any help appreciated.

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584