[gdal-dev] MapInfo File vs ESRI Shapefile attribute value encoding

Max Demars burton449geo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:32:11 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am a bit confused right now about a possible difference in encoding
attribute value that I have noticed between those two drivers (MapInfo File
vs ESRI Shapefile).

I have a script that allow user to export some features from database to
shapefile or MapInfo TAB format. However, in MapInfo TAB the attributes are
not encoded correctly in utf-8, contrary than shapefiles.

The same data and the same code is used, and I am starting to think that
the difference is coming from inside the OGR drivers.

OGRFeature.SetField("FiedlName", value.encode('utf-8')) #value is unicode

Anybody have information about this issue? I dont really know where to look.

-Max Demars

--
Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/users/1914034/burton449
GIS Overflow: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/14426/burton449