[gdal-dev] Build GDAL from scratch on CentOS 6.5

Jake Brinkmann jakebrinkmann at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 12:40:05 PDT 2014

Hello all geospatial-web-wizards,

I am struggling pretty hard building the GDAL libraries and all the
countless dependencies from source in CentOS6.5. I do not have root access
on my machine, but I need the GDAL (as well as HDF, GeoTiff, GEOS, etc.)
libraries for performing image processing using the Terra/Aqua MODIS
satellite remote sensing data.
Does anyone out there have experience building GDAL along with HDF and
Python bindings, but without, and I emphasize here: *without* root access?
Alternatively, if possible, I would be willing to install a binary, but
remember: I do not have root access (so I'm not sure this would work...)
and lack experience with *.rpm files

Let me know, please, if anyone has any ideas at all.
I am really wishing the Anaconda Python distribution would come with GDAL
supporting HDF4, but it currently does not...

Thanks for reading, and any help you can provide,

Jake Brinkmann
jakebrinkmann at gmail.com