[gdal-dev] gdalwarp/info failure on jp2 in secure AWS environment

MWilson Matthew MWilson at edrnet.com
Tue Dec 9 11:37:26 PST 2014

Good afternoon,
  I've been trying to track down some intermittent failures and I believe I've come across something.  I was able to run the gdalinfo command on imagery on s3 using a presigned url, vsicurl, and the following options:
--config GDAL_HTTP_UNSAFESSL YES --config GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN EMPTY_DIR --config CPL_VSIL_CURL_USE_HEAD NO

  However, I did note today that running the gdalinfo command on a jp2 did not return the coordinate information against an s3 image that required a presigned url.  Running it against another s3 instance that does not require a presigned url resulted in the full coordinate/projection information being visible.

  As another test, I ran the gdalinfo command against a tif file on the presigned url instance, and that also worked.

  To me, this means that there is a limitation in how gdal is reading the images on s3 when a presigned url is required to get at them, specifically, the auxiliary files aren't being read.  This does kind of make sense because the geotiff would have that information in the header if I'm not mistaken, and the jp2 would not.

  Would anyone on the list have come across this before?  Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Matthew