[gdal-dev] gdalwarp/info failure on jp2 in secure AWS environment

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Tue Dec 9 15:08:35 PST 2014

Does "gdalinfo --debug on --config CPL_CURL_VERBOSE YES ..." show 2x
requests?

I think the problem likely is the S3 signature is only valid for one
file/url, not the corresponding .jp2.aux.xml file, so the request for the
latter fails. Not sure of an easy way to fix that without writing a
vsicurls3 module that can do the signing...

Though JP2 supports storing coordinate information (bounds) in the file,
just not the projection details - not sure if you could work around that?

Rob :)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM, MWilson Matthew <MWilson at edrnet.com> wrote:

>  Good afternoon,
>
>   I’ve been trying to track down some intermittent failures and I believe
> I’ve come across something.  I was able to run the gdalinfo command on
> imagery on s3 using a presigned url, vsicurl, and the following options:
>
>  --config GDAL_HTTP_UNSAFESSL YES --config GDAL_DISABLE_READDIR_ON_OPEN
> EMPTY_DIR --config CPL_VSIL_CURL_USE_HEAD NO
>

>   However, I did note today that running the gdalinfo command on a jp2 did
> not return the coordinate information against an s3 image that required a
> presigned url.  Running it against another s3 instance that does not
> require a presigned url resulted in the full coordinate/projection
> information being visible.
>

>   As another test, I ran the gdalinfo command against a tif file on the
> presigned url instance, and that also worked.
>

>   To me, this means that there is a limitation in how gdal is reading the
> images on s3 when a presigned url is required to get at them, specifically,
> the auxiliary files aren’t being read.  This does kind of make sense
> because the geotiff would have that information in the header if I’m not
> mistaken, and the jp2 would not.
>

>   Would anyone on the list have come across this before?  Does this make
> sense?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

*Koordinates*PO Box 1604, Shortland St, Auckland 1140, New Zealand
Phone +64-9-966 0433 koordinates.com <https://koordinates.com/about>