[gdal-dev] Can't get gdal_rasterize to work... with anything.

Karen Pease meme at eaku.net
Fri Dec 12 22:18:46 PST 2014

Hi all,

I'm running Fedora 21 with a fresh built gdal-1.9.2. Try as I might, I
can't get gdal_rasterize to output anything other than purely
transparent images, purely white images, or purely black images.

I want to use it on this dataset - "Elevation data. GDB og SHP.
ISN2004":

http://atlas.lmi.is/LmiData/index.php?id=1079838344912

I've spent maybe 8 hours on this, including trying all sorts of
different commandlines. After finding that I couldn't get that to work,
I found some sample tutorials that includes a shp file and some command
lines to use it with gdal_rasterize:

http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/dataholdings/?q=recipes/How-to-Obtain-a-Shapefile-based-Data-Subset-with-GrADS
http://www.openforis.org/OFwiki/index.php/Special:WhatLinksHere/Example_data_set

None of these work for me either (using it exactly as they say to), so I
don't think it's my shp files that's the problem; I think it's
gdal_rasterize or something it depends on. I know the problem isn't an
image viewer problem either - I've tried multiple viewers, and I've
tried saving the files to PNM to allow for manual inspection - they all
contain only the same data value repeated over and over, no variation,
just pure one color.

What should I do? I really need to make a heightmap out of this
landscape data for inclusion into a 3d model...

 - kv, Karen