[gdal-dev] TOC sub-dataset retrieving when frame with same coverage share the same boundary rectangle.

Nicolas G nicolas.g-dev at outlook.fr
Mon Feb 10 02:16:27 PST 2014

Hi Andreas,

The fact is that I can't use the GDAL API to get the different sub-datasets in this particular case, so can't make any combination of frames without going directly to all NITF frames as suggested by Even.

Regarding your answer, maybe the meaning of Zone and Scale is not clear for me:
Zone = Arc Zone?Scale = Logical name (as in your example LFC, TFC...)? but not really the resolution.

For me, the subdataset could be a directory in RPF directory tree, as each directory is generated according to different parameters.

You normally have one directory (path) by [Arc Zone/Scale Logical Name (LFC, TFC...)] couple (I don't take into account the fact that a directory can be splitted if frames files are not contiguous).

The problem appears when two [Arc Zone/Scale Logical Name (LFC, TFC...)] contain data at the same resolution, so with the same tiling, so potentially with frames at the same col/row.

As you have written "There should be overlaps between the zones but this data content
      "shall be identical". "
So the following example is not really possible?

Example:
I have one boundary rectangle which belongs to two differents paths (but for the same coverage (same Arc zone)) by example a path with LFC-FR_(Night) content and a path with LFC-FR_(Day) content (all at the same resolution).
For each frame coverage I have one frame in LFC-FR_(Night) path and one frame in LFC-FR_(Day) path (so different paths and frame names and extensions), then GDAL reports to me only one Sub-dataset, and then I can't access through GDAL Subdataset API the data in the two paths. I need to analyse the TOC file in my App to get the paths, boundaries... and then access the frame files.

Nico