[gdal-dev] python script not working

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Thu Jan 16 08:57:45 PST 2014

Dennis,

You either have to know the absolute path to gdal_polygonize.py or have
its location on your system path to make that work. And I also recommend
the subprocess module instead of the deprecated os.system.

     import subprocess

     subprocess.check_output(
         ['/PATH/TO/gdal_polygonize.py',
          '-f KML',
          'tmp.4.vrt',
          'tmp.5.kml'])

The gdal_polygonize.py script is a very thin wrapper around the
gdal.Polygonize() function. Shelling out from a Python script to another
Python script is kind of round-a-bout – you could just grab the
gdal_polygonize.py code and reuse it in your Python program.

--
Sean Gillies
sean at mapbox.com