[gdal-dev] Reading CurveString and CurvePolygon Geometries from FGF Data

Bob Cave bobc at bluemarblegeo.com
Tue Jan 21 09:04:51 PST 2014

Even Rouault wrote
> Le vendredi 17 janvier 2014 17:08:38, Bob Cave a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using the OGR Spatialite driver to read a database that has FGF
>> geometries.  Some of the geometries are CurvePolygons, which are not
>> currently supported in OGRGeometryFactory::createFromFgfInternal() as of
>> GDAL 1.10.1.
>>
>> Is support for FGF CurveString and CurvePolygon geometries currently in
>> development?
>
> Not that I'm aware of.
>
> There's not yet support in OGR core for curve geometries, so that would be
> preliminary step to implement support for the FGF curve geometries. This
> is
> something that could be part of the big changes for OGR 2.0
> (http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes). A few years ago I had
> started
> preliminary work in a sandbox but didn't pursue.
>
> Another annoying thing for implementation is that the link in
> http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc16 to the FGF binary spec seems to
> have
> disappeared.
>
> Do people actually use FDO SQLite databases.... ?

Apparently, one of our customers uses an FDO SQLite database.

I have seen that the OGR core does not currently support curve geometries,
so these objects could not be handled that way.  I was thinking that perhaps
someone might be working on producing a polyline or polygon representation
of an FGF curve object.

I found the FGF Binary Specification  here
<http://www.osgeo.org/files/fdo/docs/FDG_FDODevGuide/files/WSfacf1429558a55de8821c21057fbebc2b-789.htm>
.

Thanks,

Bob