[gdal-dev] Field width when converting MID-MIF to SHP

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Mar 10 15:39:34 PDT 2014

Hi OGRers,
(Would that be pronounced "ogres" ?  :-)  )

I need to create _a lot_ of blank SHP files with schemas that I
currently have in CSV files.

(For me) the easiest way is to create a script that reads the CSV files
and generates  empty (geometry wise) Mapinfo MID-MIF filesets.
I then use ogr2ogr to batch convert these into empty shapefiles that
have the correct attribute schema.

But!

In the MIF file I can say "character 36", or Decimal 6,0 or Real.
Can I get any reassurance that the resulting DBF file will contain the
36 char length character field?
If I look at the table schema in QGIS, I do not know how wide the
attribute field is.

Likewise for integer and real data types, I need to also nail down the
field widths.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Service

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323www.geograph.co.za