[gdal-dev] Enter The Chicken

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 07:05:23 PDT 2014

Hello,

For those of you who are interested in high performance JPEG 2000, I have
just
launched my ThousandthChicken OpenCL library.

https://github.com/OpenCodec/ThousandthChicken

My design goals are:

- correctness
- speed
- stability - comprehensive test suite
- well documented :)
- cross platform

Currently, I am only focusing on decompression.

The project can currently not do much: it can parse a jpeg2000 file format,
and there are stubs to decompress, but these stubs are currently designed
for CUDA.

I am using the Intel OpenCL SDK,  and I have added a sample median filter
OpenCL kernel as a guide to start with.

If anyone wants to help out, you could:

0) if you have opencl experience, try porting some of the CUDA code to
OpenCL. The CUDA code is currently ifdef'd out of the compile, using
 #ifdef CUDA.

Note: as CUDA allows C++ constructs such as templates, and Open CL is C99,
the template code must be refactored.

1) document the existing code: I am not that familiar with the standard and
will be learning as I go along, so any comments in the code from people
with codec knowledge would be very very helpful

2) testing: OpenJPEG has a comprehensive test suite. It would be useful to
carve this into a separate project that could work with any jpeg 2000 codec
- just define a compress/decompress interface.  This will also be helpful
for benchmarks.

I am planning on integrating this code into OpenJPEG once it is working and
stable.

Cheers,
Aaron