[gdal-dev] Gdal Java project / parser

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Mar 15 08:50:24 PDT 2014

Florent,

I'm not sure we really want to duplicate existing constants.

I like that the bindings look similar in languages. If I must do GDAL code in
C, C++, Java or Python, it's pretty much all the same everywhere... But the
truth is that most non C/C++ folks hate their GDAL bindings, whatever the
language. Python'ists hate the Python bindings because they don't look like
Python. Java'ist the samthing. etc...

What about just improving the doc... ? In the GDAL source tree, there's a huge
file swig/java/javadoc.java that contain all the javadoc comments that appear
in gdal.org/java
There's a hacky script, swig/java/make_doc.sh, that extracts comments from
javadoc.java and put them into the SWIG generated java files, so that the
javadoc utility can make sense of all that. The generated docs are in
swig/java/java.

You could add missing javadoc for non documented constants, and improving
existing doc, for example by mentionning which constants can be used as a
parameter of a method.

For a GDAL 2.0, we could perhaps split the gdalconst module into several ones
to replicate what you've done in a more straightforward way and that would
also benefit to other languages.

Even

--
Geospatial professional services