[gdal-dev] Problem using gdal_contour after gdal_merge.py

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Mar 24 04:53:29 PDT 2014

Tom Beddard <tom <at> subblue.com> writes:

> Can anyone else confirm this behaviour when extracting contours from
merged SRTM tiles?

Hi,

If you can send me a link to your two SRTM tiles then I can have a try. GDAL
told you the very reason for your trouble
ERROR 1: Failed to write shape object. File size cannot reach 4294964860 + 2696.

The shp part of shapefile cannot be bigger than 4 GB. Why two SRTM tiles
together starts creating such a huge file when 90 MB is enough for one tile
is a mystery. Something in the work flow must be catastrophically wrong.

-Jukka Rahkonen-