[gdal-dev] Draft GDAL/OGR class hierarchy for GDAL 2.0

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Mar 27 08:08:58 PDT 2014

Selon Ivan Lucena <lucena_ivan at hotmail.com>:

> Hi there,
>
> That is a great discussion and I applause Evens efforts and all the
> contributions, so but don't get me wrong by asking that:
>
> What do we want to accomplish with that class hierarchy?
>
> Will GDAL 2.0 be able to do thinks like:
>
> $ gdalinfo <dataset>
>
> And the proposed classes will be able to figure out what kind of dataset is
> that?

Well, I've completely dropped off the idea of the complex schema of classes.
This was just to make people afraid and comment, and have fun myself with UML
schemas ;-) But the ultimate goal remains to have a GDALDataset object that
handle both raster bands and vectors. So yes an upgraded gdalinfo could
potentially handle any of the below datasets. However I'm not sure of what we
want to do with the current utilities. For example if you combine both
gdal_translate and ogr2ogr in a single utility, it will have like hundred of
options... But the idea is to have the API to make it possible.