[gdal-dev] RFC 46 GDAL/OGR unification adopted and commited

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 16:24:58 PDT 2014

Hi Mateusz,

That seems like a good idea.

But I don't know if I should unify two drivers an put then on frmts/mixed. It will certainly works in the new structure proposed by RFC 46 but it might create some problems for me. What I am most interested is to have two driver (that uses the same data container) sharing a little bit of code.

The RFC 46 says "Various data containers can accept both
data types" and by that I understand it means "at the same time". The same dataset can contain Vector and Raster.

If I understood it correclty, if you use gdalinfo with one of those dataset it will call GDALOpenEx with GDAL_OF_RASTER and if you use ogrinfo with the same dataset it will call GDALOpenEx with GDAL_OF_VECTOR. So nothing new under the sun here, from the user point of view. What is a very good thing.

But it might be a case where you would like to develop or unify some drivers and put then into the mixed folder. I don't know.

In my case I would like to have a folder structure to keep my two driver under the same folder.

Something like that:

/frmts/container/
/frmts/container/vector
/frmts/container/raster

But that idea doesn't help with your concern about a large number of sub-folders under /frmts.

What do you think?

Regards,

Ivan