[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 49: Curve geometries

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 10 11:29:22 PST 2014

Le lundi 10 novembre 2014 20:20:25, Robert Coup a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Is there any other comment on this, before I call for a vote on it ?
>
> FWIW, sounds great to me. :)
>
> I presume that the concept is to add curve-specific geometry functions
> (rather than their linear equivalents) over time, as eg.
> GEOS/PostGIS/whatever support them?

Well, this is really for GEOS operations. Not sure if GEOS has a plan to
support operations on curves one day. Would likely be a lot of work and
probably depends on if JTS does such a move.

Regarding PostGIS, the conversion between OGR curve geometries and PostGIS
curve geometries is 100% operationnal with the RFC.

> In that case, should it be made clear
> in the RFC "that non-linear geometries are first converted to their linear
> approximation." is a "for now/worst case" thing?

Precision added. Thanks