[gdal-dev] Building GDAL against custom libtiff

Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara jp.alcantara at geographica.gs
Wed Sep 17 02:36:49 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm having from quiet some time now an issue when building GDAL against an
external TIFF library. For sure is a very silly thing but I'm missing
something important nonetheless. So long, I ended up always compiling with
--with-libtiff=internal and have a perfectly functional installation, but
I'm just curious about this.

The things goes as follows: I installed tiff-4.0.3.tar.gz from osgeo.org,
then I try to configure the GDAL build with --with-libtiff=/usr/local/,
where I installed the libtiff, and it compiles. But somehow, when executing
gdalinfo against a TIFF, I get the following:

Warning 1: libtiff version mismatch : You're linking against libtiff 3.X,
but GDAL has been compiled against libtiff >= 4.0.0

And when I ldd gdalinfo, I get:

 libtiff.so.4 => /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4 (0xb6482000)
 libtiff.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libtiff.so.5 (0xb640e000)

and I'm at a loss, it seems that is trying to link to the system library
instead the custom installed. Any insight on this will be most welcomed.
Many thanks in advance.
Juan Pedro Pérez Alcántara
Chief Science Officer

jp.alcantara at geographica.gs