[gdal-dev] Relating to GeoLocation tool of Geospatial PDF Document

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Apr 9 08:59:23 PDT 2015

George Demmy <gdemmy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Sunil,
>
> More recent versions of TerraGo Toolbar understand both ISO and OGC
> georegistration encodings, but it's not likely that TerraGo Toolbar
> will be useful in verifying whether something is georegistered
> properly. As of Version 6, support of non-TerraGo PDFs was dropped for
> reasons that I will not go into here. That is, encoding does not
> determine if it works or not, but rather have access rights been
> embedded into the file to turn on Toolbar. Acrobat and Reader should
> support a pretty wide variety of standard GCS/PCSs encoded in either,
> but relies on a 9.x era Esri pe.dll, so some of the newer Web Mercator
> formulations, updated GCSs, and some regional coordinate systems might
> not be recognized as well. FWIW, I recommend that without compelling
> reason to do otherwise, to stick to ISO encodings because of good
> support of WKT in GDAL and it's much easier to get right since the
> registration points are given in the map GCS lon/lats, and you don't
> have to worry with projected values for the georegistration metadata.
> YMMV.
>
> HTH,
>
> George

Hi,

I downloaded and installed today the TerraGo toolbar from
http://www.terragotech.com/software/TerraGo_Toolbar.exe. I installed it on
top of Adobe Reader XI v. 11.0.10.32. The TerraGo plugin does not seem to
tell me anywhere what version it is.

It seems that all the tools in the toolbar stay inactive when I open any
geospatial PDF file which I had created with GDAL v. 2.0-dev. Only tool that
worked for me was the GeoPDF File Properties tool which did find the
georeferencing metadata from the ISO32000 version but not from the OGC_BP
version. Anyway, the toolbar seems to be of no use for those who write
geospatial PDF files with GDAL. I can also recommend to use the ISO 32000
encoding which makes the coordinates to appear in standard Adobe Reader.

-Jukka Rahkonen-