[gdal-dev] Non-standard characters in GeoPackage table names

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Sat Aug 1 06:35:30 PDT 2015

Hi,

Have a look at this QGIS issue https://hub.qgis.org/issues/13140.

Problem it that QGIS can't create tables with names like "test-table" into
GeoPackage. I think that the reason is that SQLite requires double quotes
around such name.
This command works:

create table "test-t" (id, value);

while this one does not:

create table test-t (id, value);

GeoPackage standard does not seem to limit the table names. However, all the
tests in the standard are using SQL without double quotes around the
identifiers which means that tests would fail with tables having names like
"test-table".

What to do? If I could I would edit the standard and tell which characters
are allowed in table names and possibly the same with attribute names.
Because that is not possible, should we consider to write such
recommendation into GDAL documents? I think it would be a bad idea to make
GDAL capable to create tables with whichever names at least without hearing
the opinion of OGC GeoPackage group first.

-Jukka Rahkonen-