[gdal-dev] Non-standard characters in GeoPackage table names

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Aug 1 09:50:11 PDT 2015

On Saturday 01 August 2015 13:35:30 Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have a look at this QGIS issue https://hub.qgis.org/issues/13140.

Jukka,

I guess this report must be a QGIS running against GDAL 1.11. There has been a
bug fix in GDAL 2.0 to always quote identifiers (
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5472 ), so now "test-table" is a valid
table name.

I guess the applicable standard is SQL-92, with which SQLite is largely
conformant, which allows unusual characters to be used in identifiers provided
the identifier is properly quoted. I doubt the GeoPackage standard would want
to specify over that, but you could potentially raise it to
https://lists.opengeospatial.org/mailman/listinfo/geopackage

Another possibility would be for GDAL to "launder" identifiers by default like
it does in a few drivers like PostGIS. The laundering as implemented in that
driver consists in converting to lowercase (works properly only on ASCII
characters as currently implemented) and replacing single quote, dash and
sharp characters by underscore.

Even