[gdal-dev] JasPer vs OpenJPEG performance

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Aug 7 05:16:36 PDT 2015

ewenger <ewenger <at> ara.com> writes:

> Jukka,
>
> Thank you for your response.  I can't provide the image, but we're working
> with 8-band MSI from Worldview-2 so the images are larger than 1024x1024.
> Given your information, it sounds like compiler flags aren't going to help.
> Do you think I'll see better performance on these tiles using either the
> Kakadu or the ECW driver?

Hi,

The tiled image can be however large, tiling means only that the JPEG2000
codestream is internally split into max. 1024x1024 sized parts. But if your
image is having only one tile I fear you are out of luck with OpenJPEG. If
you know Kakadu then you probably has also kdu_view application available.
File-Properties shows you all the details about the file. You should get
more info also with these GDAL utilities
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/JPEG2000Utils

With Kakadu or ECW driver you will get an enormous boost.

-Jukka Rahkonen-