[gdal-dev] JasPer vs OpenJPEG performance

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Fri Aug 7 06:14:32 PDT 2015

On 7 August 2015 at 13:16, Jukka Rahkonen <
jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi> wrote:

> ewenger <ewenger <at> ara.com> writes:
>
> > Do you think I'll see better performance on these tiles using either the
> > Kakadu or the ECW driver?
>
> With Kakadu or ECW driver you will get an enormous boost.

As a *very* rough indication, we found Kakadu was magnitudes faster than
OpenJPEG or Jasper (and not prone to crashing) -- 10-100x for JP2 decoding
and 100-1000x for JP2 encoding of RGB(A) images . This was 2-3 years ago,
so I'd expect the gap to have closed somewhat by now.

FWIW, the Kakadu folks will give you an evaluation license to play with and
check your particular images/use case before committing to anything.

Rob :)