[gdal-dev] Issue with gdalchksum on Fedora 21 ppc64le?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Aug 21 13:27:21 PDT 2015

Le vendredi 21 août 2015 07:01:41, Gawade P a écrit :
>  Hi All,
>
> I am performing the following operation on a Fedora 21 ppc64le machine:
>
> gdal_translate -of HF2 byte.tif byte.tif.tst
>
> Here byte.tiff is TIFF image data
> [root at pts0433-vm12 test]# file byte.tif
> byte.tif: TIFF image data, little-endian, direntries=15, height=20,
> bps=8, compression=none, PhotometricIntepretation=BlackIsZero,
> width=20
>
> The operation completes without issues.
>
> However,
> gdalchksum.py byte.tif
>  gives me 4672
>
> and
> gdalchksum.py byte.tif.tst
> give me 4716
>
> I have installed gdal and gdal-python using the following rpm packages:
> gdal-1.11.2-4.fc21.ppc64le.rpm
> gdal-python-1.11.2-4.fc21.ppc64le.rpm
>
> The above commands give the same output on Intel (x86) platform i.e. 4672.
> Also, if I transfer the output file byte.tif.tst to an x86 machine, I
> get the correct output, i.e. 4672.
>
> Can anyone please guide me on what is the expected output

In theory this should be 4672 on all platforms. The behaviour you get would
mean that the writing side is OK on PPC64LE, but the reading side is not.

The issue is probably in HF2RasterBand::IReadBlock() in
frmts/hf2/hf2dataset.cpp if you want to give a try to debug it.

A quick way of having an overview of the differences would be to run the
following on x86 and PPC64LE and compare out.asc:

gdal_translate byte.tif.tst out.asc -of aaigrid