[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 59 (v2): GDAL/OGR utilities as a library

Kyle Shannon kyle at pobox.com
Wed Aug 26 12:44:10 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Summer of code 2015 being finished now, Faza's work now include librarification
> of gdalinfo, gdal_translate, gdalwarp and ogr2ogr. Faza will continue working
> on some other utilities.

Which other utilities are being considered?  Has there been any
discussion or thoughts on this?

> We'd be happy to hear about your comments, especially on the API. So speak now
> please.

The API looks good to me.

How does documentation work for utilities now?  I guess changes should
be documented in the *_lib.cpp or *_lib.h and also gdal_utilities.dox,
similar to how the utilities closely coupled with certain alg/ APIs
(gdalgrid for example).

> The overview of the work is there:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc59_utilities_as_a_library

If I am reading correctly, a separate lib will now be created.  Is
this to keep the building cleaner? Is there a problem with just adding
it to the libgdal C API?

> I'd like to call for a vote soon as I'd want that to be merged as soon as
> possible, so it gets more widely tested and to avoid increasing merge
> difficulties.
>
> Even
>
> --
> http://www.spatialys.com