[gdal-dev] GDAL install and run with a single command

Petr Pridal - Klokan Technologies GmbH petr.pridal at klokantech.com
Thu Feb 5 01:09:34 PST 2015

Hi everybody,

If you want to use the latest stable GDAL, for example on a newly installed
Linux machine to do some fast raster data processing with the command-line
utilities, and you need drivers like MrSID, ECW or Kakadu JPEG2000, you may
very probably end up compiling everything yourself. It takes time and you
need to install a lot of dev packages extra to deploy the working
environment.

That's why we created a minimal GDAL in Docker container (about 350MB).

On any computer with Docker installed (see
https://docs.docker.com/installation/#installation) you can download and
run any GDAL utility with a single command.

For example gdalinfo on yourfile.tif stored in local directory:

$ docker run -ti --rm -v $(pwd):/data klokantech/gdal gdalinfo yourfile.tif

and similar with other GDAL tools. For more details see:

https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/klokantech/gdal/

and our blog post:

http://blog.klokantech.com/2015/02/gdal-in-docker-install-run-with-single.html

This Docker container has been made to simplify distribution of MapTiler
Pro, the follower of my GDAL2Tiles, which is now available from
http://www.maptiler.com/.

Thanks everybody for the great work on GDAL!

I hope you find our docker container useful.

Regards,

Petr
--
Petr Pridal, Ph.D.
(managing director)

Klokan Technologies GmbH
Hofnerstrasse 96, 6314 Unterageri, Switzerland
Tel: +41 (0)41 511 26 12
Email: info at klokantech.com
Web: http://www.klokantech.com/