[gdal-dev] GDAL install and run with a single command

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 5 02:21:56 PST 2015

Petr,

I can see that the libgdal in the Docker image is linked against /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4
which happens to be 3.9.6-11. GDAL itself contains a copy of libtiff 4.0.X that will get used,
so you can potentially have a mix of libtiff symbols of different ABI that could lead to crashes if an application
links against libgdal and this external libtiff in the wrong order (this isn't a theoretical concern.
The Orfeo Toolbok folks have suffered from that at a time). This linking against system libtiff 3.X
actually comes from libpodofo AFAICS. To be safe in GDAL and avoid any potential symbol clashes,
you'd better add to the configure options of GDAL :
"--with-hide-internal-symbols=yes --with-libtiff=internal --with-rename-internal-libtiff-symbols"

That's what the UbuntuGIS packagers do.
See for example https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable/+files/gdal_1.11.0%2Bdfsg-1%7Eexp2%7Etrusty2.debian.tar.gz

That doesn't seem to cause problems in that instance, but this is a bit by chance...

Even