[gdal-dev] HDF support under Gentoo/Funtoo

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Feb 17 10:02:08 PST 2015

Sebastian Walter wrote:

> The gentoo ebuild is somehow limited in terms of driver choices in my
> opinion (especially if you have additional commercial licenses to
> include as, e.g. Kakadu or ECW). What I do is to compile a custom
> gdal
> build and install it to /usr/local. For the current stable 1.11, you
> would emerge sci-libs/hdf first, and then configure the downloaded
> package like this:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-python
>
> (both HDF libs are found automatically by configure).

[..]

Thanks Sebastian.  I've been doing that many times in the past
(ex-Ubuntu user) out of curiosity to learn and the attempt/illusion to
have control over all things.  I just wanted to avoid repeating this
again.

Anyhow, it works, of course.  I am sure the ebuild can be improved.

Best regards, Nikos