[gdal-dev] [GSOC] Integration of cpp GDAL utilities into GDAL core library

Nishith Maheshwari nshthm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:27:41 PDT 2015

Hi,
I am a masters student from IIIT Hyderabad and currently in my final year
of study and working in the Lab for Spatial Informatics here.

I was a part of GSOC 2014 and worked on the project *'Schematization Plugin
for QGIS'* last year [1][2].

I am interested in the project *'Integration of cpp GDAL utilities into
GDAL core library'* .

I have already looked at a few codes of gdal utilities available in the
'apps' folder of the sourcecode and had a few queries -

1. From my understanding of the project description, the aim is to refactor
the individual codes of gdal utilities by removing the main() and making
them available in the form of functions. These functions can then be
accessed by another function like GDALRunUtility() which can be used to
call them individually using specific parameters. Please let me know if I'm
thinking in the right direction.

2. If we are implementing individual functions for every utility we might
not require a separate layer of interaction in the form of
GDALRunUtility(). Any thoughts?

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/nishithm
[2] https://github.com/nishithm/schematization

Regards,