[gdal-dev] Signs like 'b≤3.2' not processed properly to dbf/shp files

AnnelieseBrouwer a.brouwer at crotec.nl
Wed May 13 00:07:23 PDT 2015

Hello community,

It seems as if signs like 'b≤3.2' were not processed properly to dbf/shp
files.

I create shape files from JSON file with GDAL using the statement:

  ds.CopyLayer(srcLayer, fileNameWithoutExtension, null);

or with cpg file:

  ds.CopyLayer(srcLayer, fileNameWithoutExtension, new string[] {
"ENCODING=UTF-8" });

All shape files were created, we can see them in Geoserver Preview
(OpenLayers).

But we have problems with signs like '≤'.
In the JSON file those signs are fine but it looks like as if in the dbf
file these signs were not written properly. Depending on what encoding we
use in datasource.CopyLayer, you'll see a question mark or something else.

We have tried using the config var. SHAPE_ENCODING but we did not get the
right result.

We think this is a GDAL issue?
We need those signs in our website (Geoserver,OpenLayers).

We are using GDAL: x86, gdal-111-1600-core
Geoserver: 2.6.0

Any idea what could be wrong and how we can solve this problem?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Best regards, A. Brouwer
Test.json <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5205479/Test.json>