[gdal-dev] GIntBig in the bindings

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri May 22 02:44:22 PDT 2015

Le vendredi 22 mai 2015 10:46:05, vous avez écrit :
> 22.05.2015, 11:38, Ari Jolma kirjoitti:
> > It seems that there are quite a few interface methods with two
> > versions where the only difference is whether GIntBig is used or not.
> > Also some methods do not have GIntBig when they actually should use it
> > since it is in the GDAL API.
> >
> > I found out that at least in Swig Perl default typemaps have long long
> > and unsigned long long. Thus using GIntBig should mostly be just the
> > case of saying
> >
> > %apply (long long) { GIntBig };
> >
> > At least Python, Java and CSharp seem to have default typemaps for
> > long long and unsigned long long.
> >
> > However, what GIntBig really is, is a configure time decision. That
> > should be somehow propagated to the bindings.
>
> I must also say that we're loosing (have lost?) the benefit of having a
> single set of "language independent" interface files because of all the
> #ifdefs in them. It might be easier to have only separate sets and then
> manually copy paste and edit when new things are added.

I don't know. We have the possibility to clear incrementally the .i file as
soon as we identify that some features can be supported by all languages.

Regarding the GIntBig case, as it seems that the 4 languages officially
supported (Java, Python, CSharp, Perl) have the in/out typemaps for GIntBig we
can probably remove the #ifdef stuff. (Ruby has no such typemaps, but since we
removed it from the makefiles, we don't have to care anymore)