[gdal-dev] json-c configure.in seems too complicated

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Nov 1 08:53:22 PST 2015

I am building on a machine where most dependencies are built with
--prefix=/usr/pkg; a few are in the base system with --prefix=/usr.  I
have json-c installed in /usr/pkg.

With svn trunk, configure found -ljson-c (because I had passed LDFLAGS
and CPPFLAGS to configure), and found many other things (geos, jpeg,
etc.).   But, it didn't find the json-c header file, apparently because
it was looking in specific pathnames instead of trying to compile a
program that includes the header.  I don't understand why explicitly
finding the header is necessary; I would just expect to have code that
needs it do #include and then if it wasn't found to add the internal
implementation to CPPFLAGS.

(Actually, I don't understand why there is an internal implementation,
but that may be about windows.)

I worked around this with --with-libjson-c=/usr/pkg, but it would be
nice if this weren't necessary.

I'm not sure a "this seems too complicated" is fair for a ticket, and
there's probably some intent here I'm unaware of, so maybe just a
comment is in order.