[gdal-dev] aclocal.m4 checked in

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Mon Nov 2 04:43:34 PST 2015

I think keeping configure/aclocal.m4/etc in svn is a reasonably pragmatic
approach, autotools can be weird at times and is a barrier to people
getting started compiling with an extra driver or a patch or something.

We have SWIG bindings too, the same principle applies except it's 10x worse
than autotools in practise :)

"If you need it you'll know" or something...?

Rob.

On 1 November 2015 at 17:03, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:
>
> > Le dimanche 01 novembre 2015 17:47:12, Greg Troxel a écrit :
> >> Running 'svn status' after building. I see aclocal.m4 is modified.  The
> >> changes are small, but it seems that generated files shouldn't be
> >> checked in, and configure isn't, so I would suggest svn rm aclocal.m4.
> >> However, it was updated recently so perhaps this is intended.
> >
> > Did you run autogen.sh or aclocal ? If so, that's not necessary since the
> > generated files are put in svn, for the worse or the better.
>
> I ran autogen.sh, because I saw it was present and that seemed normal.
> It never occured to me that I could skip it because I expected generated
> files not to be in svn.  Amazingly my regen of it matches byte-for-byte
> what's checked in, so I didn't even notice that configure is in the
> repo.
>
> And I should say that while I'm all complaints this morning, they are
> all easily fixed nits and I'm impressed at how little issues I am
> finding!

*Koordinates*PO Box 1604, Shortland St, Auckland 1140, New Zealand
Phone +64-9-966 0433 koordinates.com <https://koordinates.com/about>