[gdal-dev] Creating plugins for most formats

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Oct 9 10:24:27 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am curious how hard it would be to build the core GDAL/OGR libs, then
have most formats created as driver plugins, instead of directly linked
from the main libs?

Reason: at Homebrew (and in other situations) every time one of the linked
libs is updated then GDAL/OGR has to be rebuilt as well. An ideal situation
is where the core libs do not need rebuilt except upon patches or updates
to non-format-specific portions of the code base. Then, format plugins are
rebuilt as necessary, relative to their external dependencies; and, all
plugins rebuilt when a core libs update requires it.

Currently I find compiling driver plugins tedious, at least for
1.x versions, has this changed with 2.x versions? Is there an easier way to
compile a format as a .so driver plugin than the following 'manual'
example, or am I just doing it in a tedious manner?

https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac/blob/master/Formula/gdal-sosi.rb

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography