[gdal-dev] enable POSIX iconv support

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 13 00:55:36 PDT 2015

Le mardi 13 octobre 2015 09:42:24, Gane R a écrit :
> I am working with the lastest stable build of GDAL source 2.0.1.
>
> In Mac when I run configure I get this enabled,
> what is the use of this.
> How to disable this like --with-libiconv and start building gdal ?

Gane,

I'm not sure to understand if you want to enable or disable building GDAL with
iconv support

iconv is needed when translating between "exotic" encodings and UTF-8. You may
need it for shapefiles with non ASCII characters for example. Other drivers may
require it as well.

Looking at our MacOSX continuous integration instance (
https://s3.amazonaws.com/archive.travis-ci.org/jobs/85047538/log.txt ), it
seems that you don't need to do anything to have GDAL to build and run
properly with iconv support.

If you want to disable iconv support, as far as I can see, there's no
./configure switch to do that if it is detected. You have to edit manually
port/cpl_config.h after configure has run to remove "#define HAVE_ICONV 1" and
look for the line "LIBICONV        =" in GDALmake.opt to ensure there's
nothing after the equal sign.

Even