[gdal-dev] gdaladdo problems with compression

Stefan Ziegler stefan.ziegler.de at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 02:46:45 PDT 2015

Hi

we are facing problems with the compression of the overviews we are adding
with gdaladdo. The filesize does not differ whether we are using
compression parameters or not. The filesize of the input raster is approx.
100 mb. The following both commands resulting in an identical filesize of
approx. 140mb.

gdaladdo -r average  591252_12_5cm.tif 2 4 8 16 32

gdaladdo -r average --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW JPEG --config
PHOTOMETRIC_OVERVIEW YCBCR --config INTERLEAVE_OVERVIEW PIXEL
591252_12_5cm.tif 2 4 8 16 32

The input raster is tiled and compressed with deflate (and predictor=2)

I would expect that the latter one would be smaller. Did we misunderstand
something? Or do we use the parameters the wrong way?

GDAL 1.11.2 and dev.

regards
Stefan