[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 64: Triangle, Polyhedral surface and TIN

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Dec 6 12:41:28 PST 2016

On mardi 6 décembre 2016 20:31:57 CET Michael Sumner wrote:
> Thanks Even,
>
> Does a TriangulatedSurface consist of separate Triangles, all with each
> three vertices stored explicitly? I.e. is there no shared vertex pool that
> primitives use via index?

Yes, the TriangulatedSurface is a collection of separate triangles. No smart optimization here.
We stick to the simple features model.

> That seems to be what simple features dictates, but it's unclear to me how
> applications should work with it. Is vertex de-duplication to be be done at
> each conversion, or is there a way to carry those indexes through?

Apart from shapefile/filegdb triangle strip/fan that could be considered as a kind of vertex
indexing, the WKT/WKB representation (and thus the exchanges with PostGIS) don't have
that.

Actually you could retrieve an indexed view of the TIN by using the
GDALTriangulationCreateDelaunay() API
( http://www.gdal.org/gdal__alg_8h.html#a498205ae5f4f0ec9f43e5c65bb392060 ), although
it is a bit overkill to recompute a triangulation from a set of triangles... (and the triangulation
it will return will generally not be the original one)

Even