[gdal-dev] gdalwarp and gdaladdo in multi-threaded mode

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Feb 25 05:26:03 PST 2016

Hi,

I noticed that in GDAL >2.0 some utilities and operations support
multi-threaded calculations, such as the gdalwarp utility. I tested it
and it seems to work well. I can see that multiple CPU cores are busy.

Question 1: in gdalwarp there are at least two ways to tell that it
should use more than one CPU:

-multi

and

-wo NUM_THREADS=ALL_CPUS or a nr of cores

Are these two flags redudant? Is either one enough or should I specify
both?

Question 2: can I also speed up the gdaladdo utility?

Thank you for your replies!

Andreas