[gdal-dev] Starting a discussion on style and coding guidelines

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Mon May 9 08:14:39 PDT 2016

Hi,

There is one aspect of the coding style that I honestly do not understand.
Why continuing to recommend the 80 chars line width? I don't by the
readability argument, well on the contrary, if because of it the result is
an excess 'verticalization' of the code it becomes much harder to read.

I don't know for you guys but when I'm forced to permanently scroll up and
down it becomes really much harder to study a code. For me the ideal is
that a function holds in a single screen size, but ofc without piling up
everything to reach that goal.

A little example from gdaldem_lib.cpp (line 240)

****************** Current code *********************************

     for ( i = 0; i < 2 && i < nYSize; i++)
     {
         if( GDALRasterIO(   hSrcBand,
                         GF_Read,
                         0, i,
                         nXSize, 1,
                         pafThreeLineWin + i * nXSize,
                         nXSize, 1,
                         GDT_Float32,
                         0, 0) != CE_None )
         {
             eErr = CE_Failure;
             goto end;
         }
     }

************ What I think would be reasonable
********************************

     for (i = 0; i < 2 && i < nYSize; i++) {
         if (GDALRasterIO(hSrcBand, GF_Read, 0, i, nXSize, 1,
pafThreeLineWin + i * nXSize, nXSize, 1,
                          GDT_Float32, 0, 0) != CE_None ) {
             eErr = CE_Failure;
             goto end;
         }
     }

7 lines instead of 15, and is it less readable (in a text editor, not in a
mail client)?

Joaquim