[gdal-dev] C++11 timeline

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Jan 5 09:26:27 PST 2017

> What is the list of compilers that GDAL actively and accidentally supports?

Currently, at least:
GCC >= 4.4 (actually must be 4.1 since this is what ancient mingw uses)
clang >= 3.something (3.0 probably)
VS >= 2008
ICC 15 probably

One aspect is to also consider the various analyzers used. I think cppcheck has only partial C+
+11 support. I'd guess Coverity Scan should have decent C++11 support but this is just a
guess. CLang Static Analyzer should likely work just fine with the C++11 supported by the
underlying clang compiler

> How will that be impacted by a C++11 requirement?

GCC 4.8 is needed for C++11 I think. There are folks using recent GDAL on older distros like
Ubuntu 12.04 (which ships with gcc 4.6). I guess they could switch to adding a PPA with a
more recent toolchain.
For Visual Studio depends on the features we use. Would be good to have VS2013 or even
2012. I'm CC'ing Jürgen Fischer to know if he has plans regarding of the compiler version that
will be used for OSGeo4W / QGIS 3.0

Even