[gdal-dev] C++11 timeline

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 09:32:57 PST 2017

Even responded while I was trying to write up something, so I'm going to
stop writing and send :)

Howard,

Thanks for the thoughts.  I believe we are thinking along the same lines.

All,

After time for comments, I plan to write up an RFC for the initial strategy
that is explicit about assumptions.

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong/missing anything.  Especially when
it comes to non-linux / mac builds.

Useful references:

http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compilers#C.2B.2B_compilers

Current explicit supported compilers:

- MS VC9
- MS VC12
- MS VC13
- MinGW 32 (this is old)
- MinGW 64 (newer)
- clang >= 3.0?
- gcc >= 4.6.3.  Even said 4.4

Best effort supported compilers:

- SunPro/Oracle C++ >= ?
- Intel >= ?

My guess at our new situaltion

- MS >= VC13 (I am confused by their version numbers)
- MinGW 32 (newer)
- MinGW 64 (newer)
- clang >= 3.3
- gcc >= 4.8