[gdal-dev] Simple band calculations

Paul Meems bontepaarden at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 06:12:40 PST 2017

Hi list,

I have a 5 band GeoTiff and I want to derive a new image of it by doing
some simple band calculations. For example (band5-band3) / (band5+band3).
I was hoping I could do this with a VRT file, but can't find an example.
I did found details about GDAL Algebra and Pixel Functions, but I'm not
sure if I need those.

I'm a on the right track or should I create a new raster file and calculate
pixel for pixel?
The input file is 120MB - 250MB and I will need several derived images.
Using VRT files will help me keeping the disk space manageable.

Thanks,

Paul