[gdal-dev] MBTiles from gdal2tiles vs. from gdal_translate

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Jan 23 01:15:00 PST 2017

mj10777 wrote
> The main reason (at the time - over 4 years ago) was:
> - that there was no write support for mbtiles then
>   (as you no doubt saw in the link you provided)

I am interested in what I was asking "what advantage/difference there is
with saving gdal2tiles output into MBtiles format vs. using gdal_translate
with MBTiles driver". That one is older than another is one difference,
though not so important to me. I am not going to claim that one alternative
is better than another. I rather believe that as usual they both have some
stronger and weaker features.

> I just tried gdal_translate on a sample file and see:
> - that it (seems) to support only 1 zoom level

The GDAL way is to run gdaladdo afterwards. It is also documented in
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_mbtiles.html.

> So the short answer would be:
> - one is a full implementation - that would fulfill all needs
> - the other a partial implementation - that does not fulfill all needs

What else is missing from the MBTiles driver in addition to automatic
creation of zoom levels (which probably won't fix)? Perhaps support for
creation option ZOOM_LEVEL for controlling the first level resolution
without a need to use -tr option for setting the target resolution with
gdal_translate? There should be no problem in improving both gdal2tiles.py
and the driver. For example myself I tend to have problems with making a
working GDAL + Python installation.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Mark