[gdal-dev] reading MS Access .accdb

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Sun Jan 22 19:25:03 PST 2017

Hi all,

   I've been trying to get ogrinfo to read some MS Access database
(.accdb) files so I can link them to some shapefiles.  After some
digging, I've found that to get ogrinfo to read them, I need to:

1. Rename the .accdb to .mdb

2. Install the MS Access Database Engine Redistributable, such as
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

3. Specify the driver string for the 64-bit driver (I'm using Windows 7
64-bit and OSGeo4W 64-bit):

     --config MDB_DRIVER_TEMPLATE "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb, *.accdb);DBQ=%s"

4. Use an explicit path to the file (note the .\ or the full path is
required):

ogrinfo.exe --config MDB_DRIVER_TEMPLATE "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb, *.accdb);DBQ=%s"  .\t_408088.mdb

just setting the current dir and specifying "t_408088.mdb" does not work.

I consider 1. and 4. above to be functionality issues/bugs (and 3. is  a
documentation opportunity).  I see that there was a related issue (and a
fix) to use the 64-bit driver https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5594

Any comments before I file my bug reports?

--
Best Regards,
Brent Fraser