[gdal-dev] Testing of OGR generated GeoPackage datasets with other implementations

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Mar 2 05:49:02 PST 2017

On jeudi 2 mars 2017 06:36:06 CET jratike80 wrote:
> Even Rouault-2 wrote
>
> > So I'd be interested if people could test
> > http://even.rouault.free.fr/geopackage/ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france.gpk
> > (or any other gpkg you may generate with today's ogr2ogr) with other
> > software package that
> > don't use OGR underneath (ArcGIS for example).
>
> Hi,
>
> MapInfo Pro 15.2 does not open your geopackage. It does open the geopackage
> which I cleaned with a bit older GDAL build as
>
> ogr2ogr -f gpkg clean.gpkg ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france.gpkg
>
> MapInfo did not give any error message, it just does not find any layers and
> quits. I could not find anything like error log from MapInfo directory. I
> will send a message to MapInfo support as well with a link to your
> geopackage.

Thanks for your feedback

Interesting, would you mind testing
http://even.rouault.free.fr/geopackage/ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france_no_ogr_feature_count.gpkg

which is the same with today's trunk but with -dsco  ADD_OGR_FEATURE_COUNT_COLUMN=NO

If that works (and it should probably given your above testing), that means I should revise my design as
we want to be compatible with existing implementations.

I've though of an alternative that would use an auxiliary table instead of extending gpkg_contents, like a
gpkg_ogr_contents table. I've simulated it manually in
http://even.rouault.free.fr/geopackage/ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france_alternative.gpkg

Generated with :
cp ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france_no_ogr_feature_count.gpkg ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france_alternative.gpkg
ogrinfo ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france_alternative.gpkg -sql "CREATE TABLE gpkg_ogr_contents (table_name TEXT NOT NULL, feature_count INTEGER DEFAULT NULL)"
ogrinfo ne_10m_admin_0_countries_france_alternative.gpkg -sql "INSERT INTO gpkg_ogr_contents VALUES ('ne_10m_admin_0_countries', 1)"

Even