[gdal-dev] Overcome attribute name limitation in shapefiles

Felix Obermaier obe at IVV-AACHEN.DE
Tue Mar 7 01:17:50 PST 2017

Peter,

why would it cease to respect the dBaseIV Standard? I’m not proposing a change regarding the dBase format but an additional file that gives additional information the data in the attribute column. If you don’t supply that file you don’t have the additinal information, but you still can access the data and have to figure out by yourself what it is.

I know that there are other data sources that are not limited in the size for column names that I can use. But often I’m asked „Can you provide me a Shapefile“ and then I’m sometimes stuck with column names that are abbreviated to undistinctness.
Or I get a shapefile of that kind, which does not make it any better.

Felix

Von: Peter Halls [mailto:p.halls at york.ac.uk]
Gesendet: Montag, 6. März 2017 14:56
An: Felix Obermaier <obe at IVV-AACHEN.DE>; gdal dev <gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Betreff: Re: [gdal-dev] Overcome attribute name limitation in shapefiles

Felix,
      following your proposal would make Shapefiles cease to respect the dBaseIV Standard and potentially seriously affect their interchangability.  There are a range of alternative formats supported by GDAL that achieve your goal: for example, I use SQL as my base format and only convert when necessary.  SQL is generally accepted by other packages and is far more flexible than dBaseIV.
Best wishes,
Peter