[gdal-dev] mapping of shadows casted by other slopes

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Tue May 16 01:22:23 PDT 2017

Kenlo,
Suggest you look at  GRASS GIS r.sun ,
https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.sun.html.

Doug

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:16 AM, NASAHARA Kenlo <24dakenlo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear GDAL people:
>
> Using DSM, I want a "shadow map" not only by the slope
> itself but also by the other slopes. I mean, if a tall and
> steep peak exists, and if it is illuminated by the sun from
> near the horizon, the shadow of the peak falls on a wide
> area of the foot of the mountain. Such shadow is normally
> not estimated by a simple "hillsahde" algorithm, which
> includes the "gdaldem" command. I want to map such
> shadows as well as the normal "hillshade" shadows.
>
> If you know a library or command to help it, please let
> me know!!
>
> --
> Kenlo Nishida Nasahara
> Faculty of Life and Environmental Sciences
> University of Tsukuba, Japan 305-8572
> 24dakenlo at gmail.com

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
551F Pylon Dr
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
*NOTE: This email correspondence and any attachments to and from this
sender is subject to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and may be
disclosed to third parties.*​